Re: benchmarks

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 10:14:25 -0400

> <rant>
> You know, things really -should- convert.
>
> After all, the game system is just a mechanism to determine the
> outcome of a task - a model of how the game reality works. HW is
> one model, the old RQ/BRP-style mechanism was another. But
> both systems are modeling the same reality, right?
>
> I don't see any reason why there shouldn't be some rather definite
> conversions from the previous systems - ESPECIALLY for mundane
> abilities. These conversions should be in print - in an appendix,
> towards the back, but in print. Even if there's a large "you're on
> your own with a lot of the magic bits" statement.
>
> I guess I feel that given the understandable limitations of the release
> schedule for HW products, there's a strong incentive to make
> already published material as HW-useful as possible. The fact that
> there is a lot of stuff out there is one of Glorantha's strengths - one I
> feel that the basic HW set ignores.
>
> </rant>
>
> Richard

Oh dear. Keep the ranting down, svp?

But I can only reply "Why should it?" Hero Wars is a different game with a much different focus and gaming enviroment. (Mind you, I'm a bit annoyed with backwards compatibility by nature, what with upgrading computer software for a living.)

But its a completely different game set in the same gameworld. Its NOT RQ IV. It is what it is...

I don't mind the lack of compatibility, though I have had to struggle with it. Any narrator who feels a need to re-use material can probably work out something -- and my experiences in converting old material at the behest of Issaries Inc. is that a lot of the concepts do not map over well at all. The game focuses on much different aspects of life than RuneQuest (but then I've always hated the 'bean counter' aspects of RQ)

Best to work with whole cloth.

Jeff