RE: Re: Mastery notation -- from the Continuum list, was: MG's

From: Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 14:52:33 -0500

I'll toss my hat in the ring. It seems to me that the "M" notation is there mostly for kewlness, as it doesn't do the function that it's supposed to. In all of the examples, it ends up being a divider between the two things in question, but doesn't say which way to look for the masteries. All of the suggestions are to put in another character, zero, blank, plus, carrot, along with it to indicate which way to look. But then why the M, other than as part of the direction indication scheme?

None of these look good to me. As somebody said, the important thing is to capture the TN with a glance and to get the masteries secondarily. A simple, unambiguous way to do this that everyone will recognize is to use parentheses.

4(1) = a four rating with one mastery.

Then again, I'm not one for aesthetics, so I'll bet people think that this is ugly. But it would work for me.

Mike

Is your PC infected? Get a FREE online computer virus scan from McAfee� Security. http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy/campaign.asp?cid=3963