Re: Playing the game

From: Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 15:09:23 -0500

>From: "Rob" <robert_m_davis_at_...>

>Whats your take on using magic to attack? You know, having a
>flickering blade feat and using it offensively as say a ranged
>magical attack? I recently played a Helamakt pre gen character at a
>con and stood on the hillside battering broo with my killer rain
>feat. I really enjoyed that, and my ability with that was better
>than my close combat!
>
>My current group seem happy to run up and try and pulverise things,
>but I wonder if that is my GM'ing? Just thinking aloud
>really...what do other people do?

I'm not sure what the question is. Are you asking if it's OK to allow some magic attacks to be defined as being usable at range? If so, then, yes, but the answer is much more complicated than this. So complicated, that I'm not sure that you want me to get into it here. Basically it has to do with how I frame contests. The way I work it, range isn't unimportant, but it's not at all the problem that others seem to make it. That is, it's no more of a consideration than anything else. Meaning that I usually have no problem if a player wants to say that their ability is usable at range. It doesn't give them an overall advantage in the game.

Note that from one interpretation, all magic is ranged because it just has to take the standard magic range penalty to overcome this.

Mike