Re: Re: City gods

From: nick_at_...
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 11:47:13 +0100

nicolas.hughes_at_... wrote:
> On a slightly more achievable level - perhaps the travelling Devotee
> could establish an embassy. With suitable rituals an embassy could
> be made both legally and magically a part of the city it represents,
> an extension of the city in which the city magic would work.
>
> Probably only an option for a Daughter of Pavis but I'm doubtful
> that other than the Daughters a deity like Pavis would have many/any
> devotees anyway.
>
> Which would create some new story-hooks as finding the appropriate
> rites could be a major challenge in itself. What you are need is
> probably something written during the golden age of Pavis in which
> case its currently buried under 10 feet of rubble in a troll-
> infested area.

YGMV of course, but I don't think I'd allow this in my game, at least not without an awful lot of bother.

If it were to happen though... To me the defining feature of Pavis are the Walls. Were they built by giants? However they were done I think that in order to make a place Pavis Far From The Walls you'd need to repeat the rituals Pavis himself made to make the walls part of his City. Dorosar probably had to perform the same ritual to extend the Pavis Wyter to Pavis Outside The Walls, so the ritual may be less lost than you'd think.

But...

Would any city/town council/wyter/occupying force/whatever in it's right mind allow you to errect 10 metre high walls around buildings or a district inside another city and perform a set of rituals transferring it? The Wyter especially would surely perceive this as an attack, even given the pervasive power of pan-Heortling nationalism.