RE: Re: Animism: multiple traditions?

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 20:25:04 +0100

> It was more prevalent in time past (like, up to about 40-50
> years ago...).

Ah, I'm still too young to remember that :)

> Glorantha isn't quite the same as the real world in this
> aspect. After all, the gods of the Real World weren't quite
> as active as the Gloranthan ones!

That's where so many comparisons fall down :(

> This "Religious Inertia" is similar to the difficulty the
> metric system is having being accepted in the US (Or the Euro
> in Britain ;-) ). It's "foreign", and therefore bad. Who
> cares how "simple" or "sensible" it is? It's not *our* way.

But I'm old enough not to think metric in Britain, either. Miles, yards, inches, pounds, ounces, stones - yes, you have to work in bases 12, 16, 14 and 3, but so what? It's *our* way!

(The reasons we don't accept the Euro aren't to do with "not us", it's a bit more complicated than that.)