Re: Re: Pol Joni

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 13:13:39 +1300

At 11:44 AM 10/13/04 +0000, you wrote:

>Me> [The Pol Joni] were friends and allies [of Sartar]?
>
>While this is the wrong list to discuss this topic, yes they were.

That's debatable as I was pointing out to Nick.

>Especially of the House of Sartar, who aided them sometime in the late
>1480ies (shortly before Sartar visited Thieves Town outside of Pavis).

So what? Sartar aided the Grazers too. But nobody considers them friends and allies of Sartar today.

>Basically, the Dundealos were the Pol Joni source for agricultural
>stuff, distant kin too.

No evidence for their source for agricultural stuff and in Orlanthi terms, there's no such thing as distant kinship. Either you are close kin or you are somebody to be raided every summer.

>The Pol Joni even held a position on the Swenstown Ring.

Swenstown, not Sartar. To illustrate the distinction again using RW politics, millions of muslims have a special relationship with Mecca and Medina. The proportion of those people that would lift a finger for the House of Saud is low.

> >>Plus
> >>those members of the Pol Joni who had aided in the final failed
> >>defence of Sartar.

> > We don't know their motivations for turning up.

>Old oaths, most likely. See above.

People don't obey old oaths out of altrusim. They obey because of politics. Depicting the Pol Joni as a monolithic block that fights blindly for the kingdom is quite frankly unrealistic.

> > The fact they were driven off by
> > the cavalry corps suggests their support was lukewarm.

>Not necessarily so. In Dragon Pass boardgame terms the Cavalry Corps
>tends to be slightly stronger than the Barbarian Horde. Add the
>presence of Lunar magicians to cancel out the tribal magicians, and
>have the main Lunar Army less than a day's march down the road, and
>what you get is a sensible light cavalry commander ready to strike
>again when opportunity is better.

Except they didn't strike again.

--Peter Metcalfe

---