RE: Presents from a shaman

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 22:02:24 -0000

> > The rules (p137) say "once a spirit is bound in a charm it
> can be used
> > by any member of the tradition or practise, as appropriate" - does
> > that "as appropriate" mean that this is the norm and exceptions can
> > occur?

> It is "appropriate" for a practitioner of the Waha Practice
> to give a Waha charm to another member of the Waha Practice.
> It is not appropriate to give that same charm to a woman..

So this is "just" strong social convention, not magical impossibility?

> If you don't have a
> relationship with the Spirit at the head of the
> Practice/Tradition, then using spirits from that
> Practice/Tradition is more like coercion or slavery than a
> harmonious working relationship. The spirit might do what it
> is told, but it will be cranky about it.

Even if it's been introduced to you by someone it thinks of as a good friend?

> Common Magic comes from an otherworld being (Spirit, Essence,
> Daimon) that happens to live in the Middle World (A Spirit of
> a berry bush, an Essence of a rock, a Daimon of a stream).
> Everyone has the ability to make or use a charm from a
> Middle-world Spirit. The charms described in the Animism
> chapter are made from Spirits
> ripped/seduced/inveigled/kidnapped/invited
> from the Spirit World, and require a practitioner (or shaman) to make.

Ah, right, I hadn't realised the significance of the distinction.

> (Yeah, I know, common magic screws up more things than it
> fixes, that horse was flogged to death long ago.)

Well, it might be Common Magic's "Confuse Everyone" skill in use here, or my own "easily confused by rules" :)

> > OK, *IF* that's possible, and my theist has their fetish,
> can they do
> > that trick of releasing the spirit to use the entire
> ability rating as
> > a bonus? Could they do it if the shaman helped them?
>
> Fetish? or Charm? Two different mechanics.

I didn't even realise you *could* do that with a Charm!

> A Fetish requires a direct relationship with the spirit
> inhabiting the fetish.

Yep, got that, that's what you roll against.

>It is only possible at the 30% worship level or above.

But that I didn't know. Are you saying you can't have the relationship without being a 30%er, or that even if you've got the relationship, you can't use it that way? Sort of like having triple masteries in your "initiate of" ability but still not being able to cement feats?

> I would let a theist hero to use the "release" function only
> if he: A] is unconcentrated and B] worships a pantheon that
> includes spirits (Kolat in the Storm pantheon, frex) and C]
> is a Practitioner (30%er) of the proper practice (and D] made
> friends with the spirit as detailed on HQ 137).

OK, fair enough. But his local friendly shaman could perhaps do the release for him, allowing him to get the benefits? Or, come to think of it, the shaman could release one of his *own* fetishes and allow the theist friend to get the benefits?

> As I said a month or so ago during the whole "Religion"
> debate, *I* think the "Worship XX" ability (ie, the 10%
> communal-worshipper level) is a radio-button function - you
> worship the Praxian tradition, *or* you worship the Storm
> panthen,...

Yes, no arguments there. It was what you could do without being a "worshipper of" that was puzzling me.

I suppose in theory you *could* be an initiate of Orlanth and a practitioner of Kolat? Doesn't help me enormously, but it's a theoretical possibility?

> So, the answer to your questions is "probably not".

At least, I suspect a mere 10W in "rationalise the impossible" is going to come under severe strain. OK, I'll rethink. Thanks for the clarifications.