Re: Presents from a shaman

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 19:18:30 +0000 (GMT)

> So, in conclusion,
> It's the Personal relationship that the user has
> with the spirit (or the
> Majestic/Great spirit 'above' it) that is at the
> root of Animist magic.
> Without some sort of relationship, the spirit
> won't/can't respond.

OK. So at best, they could possess a charm, and get the standard automatic augment off that? Or not even that much?

> *Normal* animists won't have suitable/working
> relationships with spirits
> outside their tradition/practice; normal
**animists**
> and sorcerous types won't
> have relationships with spirits *at all*.

You meant "theists", I take it?

> Heroes are wierdoes, and can break rules.

Not if the rules is part of How Glorantha Works, they can't - not in my Glorantha, anyway. No more than I can simply ignore gravity. I can develop heroic level Jump skills, I can build a spacecraft, but I can't just ignore it.

> Hope that helps, Jane.

It clarifies, which helps no end - thanks.

Do I take it, then, that the reference David Dunham gave to "most Gloranthans using mixed magic" refers to common magic only?

So what I probably need is some Common Magic charm that'll do what I want at a suitable power level (and anything that high-powered probably *will* require a shaman to make it...)

hmm, that still doesn't give the effect I want of having this ability at a low level most of the time, but having it really high as a once off... will keep thinking!

Jane Williams

Win a castle for NYE with your mates and Yahoo! Messenger http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com