Re: Presents from a shaman

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 20:51:16 +0000 (GMT)

> They could possess a Common Magic Charm (assuming
> they aren't concentrated),
> but to have a Practice/Tradition charm requires a
> Relationship to a Great/Majestic Spirit.

OK

> Note: There might be a G/M spirit in the religion,
> such as Kolat in the
> Storm pantheon, where communal worship of the
> pantheon *includes* that
> particular spirit, so Kolat charms *can* be used by
> your normal Heortling
> (as long as he's not concentrated in Theism).

So your normal Heortling *can* have that relationship to the spirit? Without being a practitioner?

> Being a Gloranthan hero *means* being able to break
> the rules. Not all of
> them (and not very well at first), but that's what
> the Hero Wars are about -
> transcending normal mortal limitations.

Hmm. I'll still think of this as a last resort.

> I can develop heroic level
> > Jump skills, I can build a spacecraft, but I can't
> > just ignore it.
>
> Become a mystic and refute it :-).

If I could understand the mystic rules, I might try :) But then they've been refuted right out of HQ, haven't they?

> Most Gloranthan religions have a mixture of
> Sorcerous, Theistic and
> Animistic elements (usually *heavily* weghted
> towards one system, and the
> others may be feared, seen askance, outlawed, or
> whatever). *Most* people
> don't concentrate their worship - certainly not to
> the percentage that
> you'll see among Player Heroes - so they can use
> charms (or even fetishes),
> affinities and/or spells at the unconcentrated rate
> without problems.

But, but, but... I thought we just said that even an unconcentrated theist *can't* use a charm or fetish? Because they can't get that relationship?

> Common Magic isn't "made" by any
> magico-religious figure, it is personal to the hero.

er... because he personally went and had a chat with that spirit of the gorse bush? Or whatever the spirit came from?

> > hmm, that still doesn't give the effect I want of
> > having this ability at a low level most of the
> time,
> > but having it really high as a once off... will
> keep
> > thinking!
>
> Ah, this is for your Vengeance Vingan?

No, (though good memory!), this is for a character in a story, and I'm reluctant to go into any more detail on the list, as it would potentially spoil the plot. They're well-known for being good at a particular ability. For one special occasion, for which they can prepare, I want them to be very, very good at it. Around a mastery better than normal, maybe more. But if they can do that any old time, it's a plot-killer.

> We covered the "Lots of related abilities" angle,
> didn't we?

We did, and it won't help me in this case.

> If this ability were gained as a result of a
> heroquest, then all bets are
> off as to what rules you can use for it.

And that may well be the answer I'm looking for. In fact... oh yes, of course! So *that's* what the Desemborth initiation test is! Drop the friendly shaman, I just need to work out who this ability was stolen from.

Jane Williams