Re: Travel times

From: Paul May <kax_at_...>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 08:36:37 +1100

At 04:46 AM 17/11/04, MHolmes wrote:
>Take GURPS for example. If you use that system, you get a deterministic
>result. Actually there are heuristics that can account for randomized travel
>times. But they're so time consuming, and fail to take into account
>important things to such an extent that they're crap by comparison.

  Hmm. I spend a minute working out who gets there first at normal speeds, and by how much (and it is only about a minute). Then I ask how much PCs want to push it, then get them to roll to see how good they are at pushing it. Not too different to HQ in that way.   And "fail to take into account important things" how?   What you are suggesting is possibly allowing heroes to travel at 100 MPH even without movement magic, if the roll is good.   It's all fine to leave it loose most of the time--I do myself. But when you are comparing time over distance as Jane wants to do, you need something as a baseline.

--
| Paul May               | paul.robert.may_at_...
| Kax Hoplodyne, Ltd     | kax_at_...
| MIB 1138; RD Australia | the_kax_at_...
| PGP key on www.pgp.net | spell_at_...

    I'm an omnitheist. You can't have too many messiahs.