Re: Travel times

From: Paul May <kax_at_...>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 08:26:07 +1100

At 04:46 AM 17/11/04, JKyer wrote:
>There is a travel table somewhere in Trader Princes. The distances used
>are based on those traveled by Voyageurs, Hudson Bay Men, Silk Road
>caravans and
>the like. Not everyone moves with Caesar Speed. =)

  Is true. Most people will use a base travel speed of about 20 miles a day, and then modify that by terrain. And if you are using oxen, 10 miles a day is your base, at best. These are the reasons for the separation distance of waystations (and their distances between villages); they are one day by ox train, or half a day by foot or horse, apart. You should always be coming into somewhere to stay the night as it's getting to dusk.

>For those of you thinking that the travel rates in ILH were apppalingly
>low, I would remind you that medieveal travel was really, really slow (as
>reading
>Pendragon will remind anyone) mostly due to the lack of real roads, etc,
>etc, etc. The research I did based on travelers tales was a real eye-opener.

  Forests, no roads, no waystations, steep hills, no maps, not knowing the path, ravines, streams - all will slow you down. In Pendragon, you have three ways to go: no path (or following animal trails); local pathways; Roman roads. So you are either very slow or very fast, depending on your destination and the road you can take. using water is not covered, at the earlier dates (C6, rather than C13ish), not used.

--
| Paul May               | paul.robert.may_at_...
| Kax Hoplodyne, Ltd     | kax_at_...
| MIB 1138; RD Australia | the_kax_at_...
| PGP key on www.pgp.net | spell_at_...

    I'm an omnitheist. You can't have too many messiahs.