Re: Using Magic As Active Abilities

From: Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 16:58:48 -0600

>From: "Andrew Solovay" <asolovay_at_...>

>Hrm. I don't have the books with me, but I seem to recall that the keyword
>skills lists were not intended to be exhaustive--they included anything you
>might need to know as part of that occupation.

Correct, and it does say that you can roll the keyword level to represent these "missing" ablities.

>But that's easier to justify
>with an obscure skill that writers might have forgotten (e.g. "keep armor
>in
>good repair") than an established skill with obvious in-game relevance
>("first aid").

It's simply a GM call. If he thinks it makes sense, then who cares that the book ommitted it? OTOH, if the GM thinks the player is trying to get away with something, then he can just say no.

>So give it a small improvisational penalty (maybe -5).

Always a good option.

I'm not getting anywhere near the whole active/passive debate again. My only advice is to come up with a local solution that works for you and stick with it.

Mike