Re: Re: New players and Combat defeat.

From: Nick Eden <nick_at_...>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 08:41:48 +0000

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 14:58:32 -0600, Mike wrote:

>Right out of the book, too. The whole "assign a nasty ability" is just never
>going to work. Basically your legitimizing the behavior that the player
>wanted in the first place. Now he can say, "Well I'm only playing the flaws
>you gave me!" The reason I like HQ so much is that flaws and penalties make
>heroes more interesting, not less. But this means that you can't
>disincentivize players with threats of them either.

Surely the trick is to ensure that the ability is *nasty*. 'Killer' doesn't seem nasty, at least not to munchkins who think it's kewl.

The flaw he has doubtless acquired is a whole raft of Enemies. Enemies who might once have been friends, but now will work with the Occupation to bring down the man that killed their defenseless relatives. Think the first half of Njall's Saga.