Re: Re: New players and Combat defeat.

From: Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 13:10:29 -0600

>From: Nick Eden <nick_at_...>

>Surely the trick is to ensure that the ability is *nasty*. 'Killer'
>doesn't seem nasty, at least not to munchkins who think it's kewl.

No, I really think it doesn't matter. First, you'd have to make the threat. "If you do that, you'll get enemies!" And then the player has to not want enemies. But enemies are fun. I'm still seeing no deterrent. It only has teeth if you were to say something like "And these enemies are powerful, and likely to kill your character and kick you out of the game."

Which isn't what we really want, is it? Otherwise these things aren't really punishments to the player, just gets the character in more trouble. Which is fun for the player.

In any case, negative reinforcement is bad policy anyhow in a game that's supposed to be fun. Instead positively incentivize not killing. "If you don't kill him, I'll give you a free Merciful ability."

Mike