RE: One session per season...

From: Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 11:06:42 -0600

>From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>

>That's one thing that's always confused me. "Progress"
>during "down-time". Your "take a keyword level" sounds
>good. But the actual rules on the subject don't seem
>to allow for any of this.

Sure they do. Saga System. Page...173? In a box near the bottom? IIRC.

They suggest a one level per year rate. I'm just a tad more liberal depending on what's going on during that downtime.

>In fact, doubling HP cost
>for anything that isn't "in-game" would seem to make
>it extremely hard for these people who spend most of
>their time farming to get any better at farming.

Again, it's keyword levels, so I don't think this applies. Moreover, if the player says to me, "I was farming" that counts to me as play for this purpose. I only apply the double cost if the player is basically saying, "I had it all along." Basically if the appearance is metagame, that's where I double it. If there's a reasonable rationale, then why should it be doubled?

> > For
> > some people, this is more "buyable" than the idea
> > that every minute of every
> > day is a drama for the characters.
>
>Depends on the characters, I think.

Sure, but it's more a player preference thing. That is, I could play the most heroic character in the world using this method. "Downtime" could be, "And then the hero went and slew 2000 of his enemies rampaging across their land in the following season. Might be no reason at all to play that out using this style. Think of it like an epic. Only certain acts get any detail at all.

Mike