RE: Re: Saga system

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 17:24:07 -0000

Jeff R:
> Jane - I've come to the conclusion that you and I just have a
> different preferred play styles!

Different *accustomed* play styles, yes. Which is why I'm trying to find out how this one works, and how the rules support it. (Badly, from what's been said so far).

> I'm not a huge fan of the day to
> day play approach - but I know plenty of others are. And that's cool.

No, I prefer minute-to-minute myself....

> Fwiw I do not use the "Saga System" - even though I have a
> saga campaign. Normally at the end of a session, I'll hand
> out a few directed points - HP you have to spend on certain
> skills - and a few "anywhere" points - regular HP that you
> can do whatever you want with.

PBeM lacks the concept of a "session", but yes.

So what do you do for the "down-time" gaps? If you say "and a season passes", how do they improve during that season?

> My players routinely improve
> skills like Customs, Relationship to Clan/Tribe/Spouse, and
> even Weaving

I'd guess that players in campaigns I've played in or run don't, because they tend to improve skills used in play. "Rel to clan" might well be a directed HP if I'm narrating - you get home and everyone thinks you're wonderful, and there's a big feast in your honour with lots of wild boar and the bard tied up and gagged. (Yes, that *is* where we get a lot of the "feel" from. Sorry.)

But what they've used in play will have been combat, magic, knowledge of weird stuff, ability to persuade total strangers. Relationships with individuals. New feats. Things that make the PC unique, not those that make him like the rest, but better at it.

Obviously my Humakti PC wouldn't be developing her relationships with her clan anyway....