Re: Saga system

From: jeffrichard68 <jeff.richard_at_...>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 18:59:00 -0000

> That does sound beautifully elegant, on the face of it.

Thanks Rob for describing our system better than I could!

> But, for long-term development, surely if you're doing one thing
> (farming, say) you don't improve as much in a week as in three
seasons,
> or as in thirty years?

I've never done a "thirty year" session - maybe if we were playing Brithini I would. Conceptually, I've decided that there is no linkage between game-time and amounts of HP. What seems reasonable to me given the needs of the story is really the deciding issue. If it is important that the players become better farmers after the passage of a period of time, then they get a bunch of HP to spend on farming related skills. And so on.

> The other question of course is what you mean by "session" and how
that
> relates to PBeM play. How often should HP be awarded, when play is
> continuous, not in jerks?

A session of play is whenever our players gather to play (usually every other Monday night for my game, alternating every other Wednesday for David's). I give them two HP at the start of play, and hand out some at the end of play. I try to pace things so that a given "event" or "scene" will be done in no more than one play session. So the Stormwalk Path heroquest was paced so that preparations took one play session and the quest itself took one play session. Battle of Hofstaring's Flood took one play session. And so on.

Jeff