RE: Re: Saga system

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 18:46:12 -0000

> The reason: They simply use the same set of rules regardless
> of the game time-spans involved in a session. The players
> specify what they are doing, we roll contests for the results
> if they are particularly relevant or risky, and hero points
> are awarded and applied based on what activities took place
> during the session. It doesn't matter whether the activities
> played out over a day... or over several seasons

That does sound beautifully elegant, on the face of it.

But, for long-term development, surely if you're doing one thing (farming, say) you don't improve as much in a week as in three seasons, or as in thirty years? I'm not after something as detailed as the RQ training hours sums, but some sort of figure to go by would help. How

many HP per season make for a reasonable level of advancement? If you
have a roughly fixed number per "session", what's that number? And how
long can the period covered be before it gets obviously silly?

The other question of course is what you mean by "session" and how that relates to PBeM play. How often should HP be awarded, when play is continuous, not in jerks?