Re: One session per season

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 13:27:04 +0000 (GMT)

>My Gloranthan games tend to borrow a lot from
>Icelandic sagas - social conflicts
>that spiral out of control and result in big
>conflagrations.

Red Cow is also based on a crisis to crisis model. We play out the interesting points and ffwd through the rest. A lot of the interesting play for politics comes at the big events for example: moots and holy days, much as the interesting material in sagas often centers around the Althing.

Red Cow borrows heavily from the same sources (partially inspired by what Jeff did with Taming of Dragon Pass). Though Red Cow history actually draws from that of Clan McLeod, as do one or two of the clan treasures.

> Takes a lot of game time and game sessions to
> develop the story

Indeed especially if you want player relationships at the heart of them, those conflicts have to be tasted before they can really mean anything.

>My story arcs tend to spread
>over an entire generation (the Taming of Dragon Pass
>campaign took up over twenty-five years of game
>time).

Indeed, one looks to Greg's 'The Boy King' as seminal for this sort of stuff. If you have not read it and intend to run this sort of game, go take a look.

Red Cow starts post-invasion and starts with conflict with the Maboder, played against the backdrop of the emerging conflict with the Telmori. Jomes Wulf, Starbrow, and others are here in early days of their fame. But after 1607 I will probably jump straight to 1611 to build up to Starbrow's rebellion. After that I'll probably jump again to 1620 and prepare for orlanth is dead.

Ian Cooper
0208-672-0717(H)07970-411892 (M)

"Give the kids tools, so they can go build their own houses; not the blueprint of what the houses should be." Tori Amos