RE: Re: Saga system

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 21:37:56 -0000

> Players that always spend one of their small number of HP on
> their best skill will risk a skewed character. If only a
> small number of abilities really exist for the character

I get what you're saying, but I was going to be very generous with HPs, encouraging a wide range of skills. Just discouraging multi-point rises of the "top" ones.

> Characters can heroquest and get huge skills compared to normal play.
> And some characters like shamen are effectively outside the
> lovingly costed abilities for HP system and rely on GM fait.

Oops. You're right, I'd forgotten that.

> 1. Do the maths the way you have already outlined. Decide how
> much you will give per session

Per "adventure". Pbem does not have sessions.

> 2. Do what you said. From time to time review progress and
> reset the per session amount. .. You can include them in the
> decisions.

Yes, my usual anyway. Player-power.

> 5. Relax. This is HQ. You dont need to plan it in advance to
> the same decree. If it was C&S then you would need a set of
> charts, sliderule, degree in quantum theory and a set of
> support staff.

Almost got 'em , too.... Changed degree course to computers *after* trying (and failing) to learn quantum theory.

> Of these 5 is the most important. Seriously. No, deep down I
> *really* am serious even though it looks like it should be a
> joke. Ask Guy what he thinks.

If only Guy was still in contact, for so many reasons!

> Unless your players are all disfunctional.

They may well be (they're my friends!), but in nice ways :)

> ps you have as much experience as the rest of us dont you?
> Have these issues not cropped up before?

I've played a lot, mostly as PBeM. Currently in (counting) 4 games, two HQ two RQ. And writing stories that I try to make obey HQ rules. My Gming was mainly RQ and some HW, I haven't done any for years. And while I could improvise narrative and NPCs and myth and plot till the cows came home, I always struggled with Rules. I think restarting my old F2F campaign as PbeM will make this easier for me, because I can take time looking things up. It also makes it possble for me and my players, all of whom have very full diaries...

> * the danger to very low prep play is passive players.

Don't worry. I don't have those.