RE: Expierence presenting Heroquest to newbies.

From: Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 15:24:40 -0600

>From: "charlesmacateer" <dcboat_at_...>

>Could some of you share with me your expierences using a the simple
>(one roll) contest, particularly regarding combat, with new players.
>I would especially be interested in expiernce's you have had with D&D
>players.

Works just fine. For everybody. Here's the key. Believe that it works yourself, and present it as written. Just do it (to quote the shoe people).

They may look at you funny the first couple of times if they're 20 year veterans who've never played anything but D&D. But they'll get it, once they see it work. I remember the comment of one such player at the end of a session at Origins, "That was different, but pretty cool."

Whatever you do, don't try to explain it overly much (I've made that mistake). That'll just get people all wrapped up. Just show them how it works, confidently and effectively.

If you don't believe that it works, if you have doubts, or don't really understand it yourself, then people will pick up on it. So make sure you're good to go first. Most examples that I've seen where there were problems, the narrator in question reports, "Well, they didn't seem to get it, which doesn't surprise me, since it seems weird to me, too."

I'm sure there are exceptions. Some people don't want to learn something new, and you'll never convince somebody who isn't open minded. But, again, I've never had a problem with it. Even with some real skeptics.

Mike