Issaries tries to answer some questions and concerns

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 07:27:07 -0600 (CST)

Amigos,

> From: "Charles Corrigan" <charles_at_...>
asks

> Has anyone bothered to contribute anything to Issaries?

for which I thank him. Such support is always welcome, though of course, seeing some contributions to the site are more welcome yet! :)

> However, I understand that Nils was out of action for a while last
> year, so it is possible that there is some stuff queued.

Nils is back in action. It is lack of material.

> Issaries, as I understand it, has no paid
> staff at all. Therefore it is not going to happen.

Actually, we have one paid staff (not me, Steve). But his job is administration, and Charles is right: it is not something we can do on our own.

> And that does not
> address the question of whether this exercise would be a good thing
> in itself (can you hear the cries of "Not in my Glorantha - it would
> _completely_ break my game/story!" ?).

Unless it is a variant rule, which tends to confuse everyone and provoke the reaction you cite, we do think that exercise in fan contribution are a good thing.

> And what is up with the Issaries publishing policy?

Everything always takes longer than expected. We have been in private communication with the current major contributors on the policy, to make sure it is workable. It will be online soon.

> The last update
> that I know of is at
> http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/HeroQuest-RPG/message/24348

Sorry about the delay. People who have been impatient have contacted us privately, and we have responded as best we could.

> A lot of the buzz about Glorantha has been maintained by the
> independent publishers (TOTRM, TradeTalk, Unspoken-Word). While
> TOTRM came to a natural end, it does seem to me that Unspoken-Word
> has been killed off by the lack of a policy - see
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Unspoken-Word-News/message/72 . What
> will happen to TradeTalk? If TradeTalk drops Glorantha or just dies,
> then what will happen to Tentacles?

TradeTalk has confirmed acceptance of the policy and assured us they are going to continue. In fact, everyone has said they would continue.

> Even if the policy is not yet
> finalized (legal process can take a long time and can be very
> expensive), some statement of hope that, subject to the required
> legal process, independent publication will be supported or
> encouraged would reassure me.

Independent publication will continue to be supported.

> From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
adds

> The last I remember was the collection of short
> campaign descriptions that started as posts on the RPG
> list, and we were then asked for permission for
> Issaries to use. I gave permission for mine,
> presumably others gave permission for theirs. I
> haven't seen the project on the site as yet.

A couple of people stepped forward with their permissions, but this is a thing for which we require volunteer effort. If someone had volunteered they have not done it. Any new volunteers?

>> Some members of the Gloranthan community seem to
>> believe that it is
>> Issaries duty to completely fill out the
>> mechanics/physics/meta-physics/whatever.
>
> Well... to *coordinate* such an effort, it is. At
> least, someone needs to coordinate it.

We don't really have time to review fan contributions. As contributions editor I am spending my time trying to get some final product out.

> At least, we don't as long as
> Issaries join in the mutual networking and
> cross-checks. That seems to be the problem - the rest
> of us have an idea, we say "how about this, guys?" and
> it gets improved, shot down, incorporated or whatever.

This is what lists are for, of course, to discuss. But I don't have the time to scrutenize them and find the final things upon which everyone agrees and then ask for it to be submited to the site. We rely upon you energetic and intrepid individuals to do that.

> Issaries get an idea, they're trying to make money, so
> they keep it secret until it's in print. So we can't
> check against it. I don't see an answer to that.

If we were to submit proposed publications to public scrutiny they would never get done. Sorry, but this is an utterly impossible desire. We have to go with what the author submits, and accept or reject it. Or rewrite it.

> From: Paul Andrew King <paul_at_...>
asks

> I'd like to add to this by asking if it is at all possible that a
> European printing of Arcane Lore can be arranged.

This requires someone in Europe to step forward, make arrangements with us and then do the job.

> I would have
> thought that a straight reprint under license would be more like the
> agreement with Moon Designs.

Like Issaries, Moon Designs has its plate full too.

> I'm sure that the current situation is not intentional but I would

What situation are you talking about here?

> like to see some indication that either the end is in sight or that
> there are some measures in hand to alleviate the problems we see now.

I don't even know which problems you are talking about. I do not read all the lists regularly, and they have never been the place to ask Issaries questions. I pop in at times to take a scan of things, but it is not the place for us to discuss things.

But I hope that this letter addresses some of the worries at hand.

Sincerely,
Greg Stafford

Issaries, Inc., publisher of HeroQuest: Roleplaying in Glorantha. P.O. Box 272914 Concord, CA 94527
See our site at <www.HeroQuest-rpg.com>.