Feats, Affinities, subcults (was Vinga Dar)

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 21:09:38 -0000

> > >... Do they get the [Allfather ] affinity as an extra, ...
> >
> > Found the answer to that, anyway. Errata.
> >
> > http://www.glorantha.com/support/1310_errata.html
> >
> > "Worshippers of Vinga that join a subcult of Orlanth gain only the
> > subcult affinity; they do not gain the affinities of the aspect."
>
> Yes, but....I would say that Kallyr and Queen Leika would
> also know the Allfather Affinity as well.

Rob, you should know better than to get me onto my favourite obsession - and I tried so hard to make it a generic question.

The rules make it quite clear that they don't. So either they lose out on those vital Feats, or they have them "standalone" in some way. I don't believe the first, and I can't see how to work the second. I know you can learn stand-alone feats from "other" sub-cults, but would that cover this?

> There is no rule
> that says you can't have more than 3 affinities (although I
> stand to be corrected).

Join enough subcults at the same time, and you can build up quite a collection.

> kallyr herself I would also say is well capable of *breaking the
rules*.

One reason why I was trying so hard not to use her as an example!

> IMO OiD has Kallyr *wrong*.

Incomplete, if you mean the stats. As I may have said before, to get the complete picture you'd need quite a thick book, not one page.

> However, I think that as a tribal king Kallyr is inactive.

OiD - 10% of her time on "Queen of the Kheldon". Not a lot. Yet another reason not to use her as an example for this question.

> When the Lunars almost breached
> Whitewall several weeks after the Crimson Bat, I had her fly
> as well. Only *I* knew she doesn't have flight per se as she
> is written, but it worked well in the game.

No, her Flight affinity went back in 1611 when she swapped to Dar. Again, rules quite clear, and your reference to Govoran's tale ST71 gives examples.

I expect someone lent her an Umbroli. Or... Hmm, remember what I was saying about standalone feats from other sub-cults?

There's another generic question. Let's go back to Govoran as our example. He leaves Ormalaya and joins Orlanthcarl, losing his Hunting affinity and gaining Farming. Can he now (re-)learn the Hunting feats as stand-alone?