Re: Feats, Affinities, subcults (was Vinga Dar)

From: Rob <robert_m_davis_at_...>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 22:26:38 -0000

> Rob, you should know better than to get me onto my favourite
obsession -

hehehe...:^D

> and I tried so hard to make it a generic question.

*but* apart from Leika Ballista and Kallyr, what other female chieftans do we know?

> The rules make it quite clear that they don't. So either they lose
out
> on those vital Feats, or they have them "standalone" in some way. I
> don't believe the first, and I can't see how to work the second.

Exactly my point. So far we know only 2 exceptions to the rule. Back in Runequest, where these characters had no such problems, women did not suffer this impediment.

I know
> you can learn stand-alone feats from "other" sub-cults, but would
that
> cover this?

Possibly, but it would be *cleaner* to just join Allfather aspect of Orlanth Dar. Otherwie tribe or clan get an inferior leader. Greg, can you help on this?

> > There is no rule
> > that says you can't have more than 3 affinities (although I
> > stand to be corrected).
>
> Join enough subcults at the same time, and you can build up quite a
> collection.

Ahhh. And I think this is the nub of the problem: Its ASPECT affinities, not SUBCULT that are the big problem here.

> > kallyr herself I would also say is well capable of *breaking the
> rules*.
>
> One reason why I was trying so hard not to use her as an example!

Maybe to be a Tribal King when your a woman is special. The some of women aint gonna like it. Some of the men aint either.

> > IMO OiD has Kallyr *wrong*.
>
> Incomplete, if you mean the stats.

sure.

> As I may have said before, to get the
> complete picture you'd need quite a thick book, not one page.

yup.

> > However, I think that as a tribal king Kallyr is inactive.
>
> OiD - 10% of her time on "Queen of the Kheldon". Not a lot. Yet
another
> reason not to use her as an example for this question.

10% Queen? Hmmmm. She might think about it 10% of the time, but when exiled she is NOT the Queen in any functional sense, so i stand by my hypothesis.

> > When the Lunars almost breached
> > Whitewall several weeks after the Crimson Bat, I had her fly
> > as well. Only *I* knew she doesn't have flight per se as she
> > is written, but it worked well in the game.
>
> No, her Flight affinity went back in 1611 when she swapped to Dar.
> Again, rules quite clear, and your reference to Govoran's tale ST71
> gives examples.
>
> I expect someone lent her an Umbroli. Or... Hmm, remember what I
was
> saying about standalone feats from other sub-cults?

She was with Gyffur. Maybe he carried them both; maybe it was a feature of her Starbrow Gem. Can she fly, or not? Maybe best left as YKMV or, and I can't remember the page in HQ, just leave it unexplained!!! :-P

> There's another generic question. Let's go back to Govoran as our
> example. He leaves Ormalaya and joins Orlanthcarl, losing his
Hunting
> affinity and gaining Farming. Can he now (re-)learn the Hunting
feats as
> stand-alone?

Probably yes. The thing is who would teach him? And does it apply to ASPECT affinities? Hmmmm.

Regards
Rob