RE: Re: Feats, Affinities, subcults (was Vinga Dar)

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 23:17:07 -0000

> *but* apart from Leika Ballista and Kallyr, what other female
> chieftans do we know?

Clan chieftains, quite a lot. BA p 5 tells us that the Cinsina have a Vingan queen. The Lismelder were founded by a female leader (cult unknown). I believe the Balkoth have had female leaders in the past.

> I know you can learn stand-alone feats from "other" sub-cults, but
would
> that cover this?
>
> Possibly, but it would be *cleaner* to just join Allfather aspect of
> Orlanth Dar. Otherwie tribe or clan get an inferior leader. Greg,
> can you help on this?

Or RR? It's a rules thing, really. Hence my picking this list to ask the question :)

> > > There is no rule
> > > that says you can't have more than 3 affinities (although I
> > > stand to be corrected).
> >
> > Join enough subcults at the same time, and you can build up quite a
> > collection.
>
> Ahhh. And I think this is the nub of the problem: Its ASPECT
> affinities, not SUBCULT that are the big problem here.

Indeed.

> Maybe to be a Tribal King when your a woman is special. The some of
> women aint gonna like it. Some of the men aint either.

Agreed, but that still doesn't mean the tribe should end up with a king with half their feats missing.

> > > However, I think that as a tribal king Kallyr is inactive.
> >
> > OiD - 10% of her time on "Queen of the Kheldon". Not a lot. Yet
> another
> > reason not to use her as an example for this question.
>
> 10% Queen? Hmmmm. She might think about it 10% of the time, but
> when exiled she is NOT the Queen in any functional sense, so i stand
> by my hypothesis.

I think you'd be surprised just how much time she manages to spend in Sartar, even when exiled. Not going out drinking in Boldhome, admittedly, but she does get at least some of the function of the job done. And the Kheldon haven't yet booted her in favour of someone who'd put more of their time into it.

> She was with Gyffur. Maybe he carried them both; maybe it was a
> feature of her Starbrow Gem. Can she fly, or not? Maybe best left
> as YKMV or, and I can't remember the page in HQ, just leave it
> unexplained!!! :-P

Rules say no she can't, not without help. But just how hard would it be for her to get help?

Story, IMO, says no she can't, not without help. She *gave up* flying in order to convert to Dar. "Left Vanganth behind", it says. And she rather misses it - but these days she has to be all responsible and adult.

> > There's another generic question. Let's go back to Govoran as our
> > example. He leaves Ormalaya and joins Orlanthcarl, losing his
> Hunting
> > affinity and gaining Farming. Can he now (re-)learn the Hunting
> feats as stand-alone?
>
> Probably yes. And does it apply to ASPECT affinities?

Yes, a potentially important distinction. But is it important, or is it hair-splitting? Dunno.