Re: Parting shots and final actions

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 00:55:59 -0800

> 1) Am I correct that final actions are only allowed in group extended
contests?

Yep.

If so,
> why? It seems that the final action is a dramatic trope often seen in one
on one contests
> as well.

Because as soon as the last person on one side of a contest falls to 0 AP, the contest is over. With 1-1 contests, there is only one person to fall to 0.

The "Come back from certain defeat" trope is modeled by coming back from 1 AP, not from 0 (or below). At 0, you're really, truely defeated.

> 2) When performing a parting shot, the rule book talks about the danger of
AP transfer
> bringing your opponent back into the fight. But it doesn't mention the far
more likely
> scenario wherein you fail your parting shot, and in so doing reduce
yourself to below 0
> AP as well.

We didn't think it needed mentioning...

> Example: In debating my opponent, I have reduced her to -13 AP, and
proven my point
> to the clan. But I want them humiliated, or at least more severely
humiliated. So I have 8
> AP left, I bid all of it, and get a minor defeat, losing 2x my bid and
putting me at -8AP.

> Does this mean we are both defeated? (I'd certainly think so.)

Yep, pretty much. Or at least, you'll come out of the fight with an injury. (a -1 penalty, in the example above).

How about if my parting
> shot actually put me in a worse final situation than my opponent?

There are two ways you can look at it:

  1. You won the contest. No matter how badly you screw up the Parting Shot, you won. He remains defeated, you get a nasty wound/reputation/whatever.
  2. Lowest final AP loses. You messed up big-time, and put yourself in the hole. he wins the contest (only because you lost more than he did).

The specifics of the contest should determine the actual final outcome.

(of course, the real answer is "so don't do that"!)

> My instinct is to end up with both people wounded/weakened/defeated. But
maybe there
> is a rule I am missing?

No. It didn't occur to us.

RR