Re: Parting shots and final actions

From: Light Castle <light_castle_at_...>
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 04:31:14 -0500

On 2 Mar 2005 at 0:55, Roderick and Ellen Robertson wrote:

> > 1) Am I correct that final actions are only allowed in group extended
> contests?
>
> Because as soon as the last person on one side of a contest falls to 0 AP,
> the contest is over. With 1-1 contests, there is only one person to fall to
> 0.
>
> The "Come back from certain defeat" trope is modeled by coming back from 1
> AP, not from 0 (or below). At 0, you're really, truely defeated.

Fair enough.

Although that means I have no way to get a surge of AP from an important and relevant stat in a one on one contest. I guess it just comes down to using clever narration to mimic it in that case.

> > 2) When performing a parting shot,...

> We didn't think it needed mentioning...

Huh.

> > Does this mean we are both defeated? (I'd certainly think so.)
>
> Yep, pretty much. Or at least, you'll come out of the fight with an injury.
> (a -1 penalty, in the example above).

That's pretty much my view.

> How about if my parting
> > shot actually put me in a worse final situation than my opponent?
>
> There are two ways you can look at it:
>
> 1) You won the contest. No matter how badly you screw up the Parting Shot,
> you won. He remains defeated, you get a nasty wound/reputation/whatever.

> 2) Lowest final AP loses. You messed up big-time, and put yourself in the
> hole. he wins the contest (only because you lost more than he did).
>
> The specifics of the contest should determine the actual final outcome.

I think that makes sense. And certainly how I would handle it. Either way, it gets you your "victory but you don't come out unscathed" thing.

> (of course, the real answer is "so don't do that"!)

Yes, but... :-)

LC