Re: Re: The Windsword from Griffin Mountain

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 20:47:41 +0100 (BST)

Charles:
> > The Windsword is a daimone emboddied in a sword.
> To reveal its
> > powers, the bearer must have a relationship with
> the sword daimone.

Rob:
> Your post is very close to my original intent, but I
> suppose the 1W3
> solution is 'closest' to the spirit of the rules as
> they stand. Do
> you think that 1w3 is a tad too strong. That
> technically makes it
> more powerful than the Starbrow.

If you treat it as a "follower", or even an NPC, not as an item of equipment as such, then the use the PCs get from it is very much limited by their relationship with it. If that's at 13..... or maybe limited by their "initiate/devotee of Orlanth"...?

What level its powers should be is always tricky, but from what I remember of the original item, it really is that sort of level.

There's a reference I hit the other day in the Humakt write-up: Inginew Redson, one of the sub-cults. (ST p103). "In the Gods War, Humakt lost his original sword and needed replacements, so Inginew made them for him.... the first sword forged from iron, called Uz-cleaver.... the Wind Sword...."
This thing's good enough that Humakt himself uses it. 1W3 may be a few masteries too low.

But really, what power you make it in your game depends on what use you want to make of it. I believe you said the players intend to give it to Kallyr. How impressed do you want her to be when they do? Bearing in mind that if you use the "limited by relationship level" idea, she'll be hit by exactly the same limitations!

Then again, maybe that 1W3 is in "have impressive reputation", and "Say "won't" in stubborn manner"? :)

Jane Williams