Furalor's rebirthing ritual

From: Gianfranco Geroldi <giangero_at_...>
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 09:56:54 -0000

I wrote the following when I needed to describe a Furalor Rite; IMO Furalor is bad and grim, the more if viewed with western eyes but I suspect even teshnans fear Furalori worshippers.

Furalor Cleansing Rite
(As used to purify and rebirth the surviving inhabitants at Gio in 1619)
The Rite is an ancient Teshnan ceremony performed by the Burning Souls
(liturgists/accolytes) of Furalor.

The Rebirthing candidate is primarily examined by the Burning Souls via the Flaming Gaze feat: his or her personal possessions (clothes, jewels, hairs) are consumed, so that only tarred skin and slight scars mark the place where the possessions grew or were worn. Then the Burning Souls apply the Reforming Touch ability: a stronger heat emanates from their arms and the Rebirthing's nails, ears, nose, lips, excess fat, are slowly melt and stored away in brass bowls to be used in other rituals.
Subsequently, the Burning Souls apply the Deep Kiss (otherwise known as Teshnan Tenderness): from their mouths a tongue of primal flame bursts out: it burns, taking hours in the process, the legs and arms of the Rebirthing one, leaving only head and torso. Finally, the Burning Souls cover the hapless Rebirthing slump with a black blanket for a month (four Lunar cycles). After that, either a new baby is born with the older person memories intact, or the soul is captured by Furalor and the bunch of bones is taken to the common graves.

Gian