Re: What Gods Know

From: Stephen Tempest <e-g_at_...>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 11:07:00 +0000

"Mike Holmes" <mike_c_holmes_at_...> writes:

>That is, it would not seem
>unlike the nature of Humakt to have a test where he discriminated based on
>what plans a Gloranthan has to worship him. I mean if he can test for
>whether somebody also worships Chalana Arroy, apparently, it doesn't seem to
>be all that odd for him to be able to test for proper worship method.

The way I undersand it, Humakt himself doesn't "test" for anything directly. It comes from within the worshipper. In order to worship Humakt correctly and receive his feats, you have to have a soul that's attuned to Death. Someone with such a soul can't also worship Chalana Arroy correctly, because that would require a soul attuned to Life, and the two are antithetical. (Unless you're illuminated, in which case you *can* do two contradictory things at once). It's not a case of Humakt sitting on his throne and saying "Yes, I'll accept your worship; yes, yours too; no, sorry, not yours."

Other combinations of worship also limit how close you can get to the gods, but are less totally restricting. Likewise, trying to attune your SPIRIT to a God like Humakt, if you have one instead of a soul, is difficult but not impossible.

>Hmm. Can you be an Initiate of Humakt, and a Practitioner of Sword Man? I
>mean if Humakt isn't there to tell you that it's incorrect, then all the
>character has to do is convince himself of some sort of duality of nature of
>Humakt to buy in.

I suspect that "all you have to do" is actually something that requires Heroic levels of religious insight and willpower, and happens once in a thousand years or so. Founding a new religion isn't something most people can do just by thinking about it a lot. :)

>Are you now
>actually saying that PCs are actually special in the game world? That
>there's something about them that actually sets them apart from the rest of
>the population other than player desire for drama and the fact that its a
>game played in a fictional environment?

I interpret that as a statement that yes, there are special people in Glorantha - they're called heroes - and PCs have the potential to be numbered among those heroes. Not that there's some kind of Exalted-style aura hanging over all PCs from the day of their birth...

Stephen