Re: What Gods Know

From: Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes_at_...>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 08:59:26 -0600

>From: Stephen Tempest <e-g_at_...>
>
>The way I undersand it, Humakt himself doesn't "test" for anything
>directly.�

Yes, yes, I know. First, you missed where I said I was anthropomorphizing for the sake of ease. Second, you missed that I was OK with the idea overall. Third, if I have to make my argument in correct terms, then it would be "It wouldn't seem strange if the test included matching for a soul."

As you say, apparently this is not the case, and the test allows spirits, too. But, again, I'm OK with that. In fact, nearly ecstatic.

>I suspect that "all you have to do" is actually something that
>requires Heroic levels of religious insight and willpower, and happens
>once in a thousand years or so.� Founding a new religion isn't
>something most people can do just by thinking about it a lot. :)

Oy vey. First, I don't disagree that it's a sorta "heroic" thing to do. It must be a genetic thing with you Brits and Aussies that you feel the need to correct every offhand statement that people make.

That said, I'm not talking about creating a new religion, I'm talking about one individual believing one thing, and what mental leap that takes. Which I think players will have their PCs do on occasion. OK, quite frequently. In the name of interesting play. The point is that, if not this specifically, something like this is going to happen in the games I play. And the question is not, is it hard? But is it possible?

Again, if it weren't hard, I wouldn't allow it in play, because it wouldn't be interesting. Every time one of you shoots at an idea like this it only more firmly assures me that it's something I absolutely have to encounter in play. Yeah it's exceptional. Who wants to play mundane?

>I interpret that as a statement that yes, there are special people in
>Glorantha - they're called heroes - and PCs have the potential to be
>numbered among those heroes.� Not that there's some kind of
>Exalted-style aura hanging over all PCs from the day of their birth...

Well, what Greg said sounded more like the Exalted than what you're describing. Your description seems to match my previous understanding. Of course I could just have been over-reading Greg, and responding like a Brit...

I may be spending too much time on this list. ;-)

Mike