RE: Extended contests - followers as augments or AP batteries?

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 19:22:27 -0000

> > I'm missing something, aren't I?
>
> Well, for one thing, you've turned a Group Extended contest
> into a simple 1-1 Extended contest...

I have?

Re-reading... Oh. Yes, I have, haven't I? Well, on this first round it wouldn't make sense to have more than one person acting, anyway. One spokesperson, not everyone trying to shout each other down.

> Split the "Follower group" into subgroups (say, about as many
> as the Player characters) and augment with the subgroups.

OK... Yes, come to think of it they're already split to some extent.

> Figure that the Villain probably has Relationships
> with the four-five "Follower Leaders" than all 20 faceless
> followers.

Probably, yes. Though since all any of them are doing is standing there looking supportive, I'm not sure to what extent that matters.

> In the Engiziland game I'm giving followers a community
> bonus for numbers inside their group, so that's four groups
> of "Faceless Followers 19" (17 + 2 communty bonus).

Oh, I see. Neat.

> So a +2 augment or +19 AP from each group, split 'em as you will.

Yep. Much more reasonable numbers. Do you have a rule of thumb for dividing groups up like this? I like the answer here, but I'd rather not have to come back to you every time.

> BTW, the PC's followers aren't "Community Property" - they'd
> augment their
> own PC, not the PC of the contest. (or at least, not without
> a glance at the
> Follower Reluctance table) "I'm *your* bodyguard, I'll
> protect you, but I
> ain't doing diddly for him unless you order me to, it's not
> in my contract."

Well, yes, but again, standing there looking supportive of the cause as a whole shouldn't take much in the way of a reluctance table.

> Of course, I wonder about the "we all augment one guy" mindset (yes, I
> *know* about the SWAT team idea, I wrote it...) To me, the
> idea of putting my hero in a purely "support" role sems like less fun.

(Shrug) It was the players' idea. Presumably this is what they think is fun. Being supportive is more interesting than doing nothing, after all.

> Makes Sense(tm), like in Political Negotiations, but in a
> fight I'd expect to be in there rolling my own dice.)

Quite possibly, but since this *is* political negotiations, not a fight, I don't see your point. They can't all shout at once and expect to get anything done. One PC makes the main speech, others back him up, look impressive, nod sagely, or whatever. Later on, when the chap currently working his way around to the back of the negotiations without being noticed (he hopes) gets to resolve how well he's done, things will get more interesting. And we expect they'll take turns at being spokesperson anyway.