Re: Extended contests - followers as augments or AP batteries?

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 13:16:21 -0800

> Yep. Much more reasonable numbers. Do you have a rule of thumb for
dividing
> groups up like this? I like the answer here, but I'd rather not have to
come
> back to you every time.

"About as many as the number of Player heroes". That way, if it turns into a fight, you've already got an opponent for each Player hero.

> > Makes Sense(tm), like in Political Negotiations, but in a
> > fight I'd expect to be in there rolling my own dice.)
>
> Quite possibly, but since this *is* political negotiations, not a fight, I
> don't see your point. They can't all shout at once and expect to get
> anything done. One PC makes the main speech, others back him up, look
> impressive, nod sagely, or whatever. Later on, when the chap currently
> working his way around to the back of the negotiations without being
noticed
> (he hopes) gets to resolve how well he's done, things will get more
> interesting. And we expect they'll take turns at being spokesperson
anyway.

You hadn't mentioned the context of the contest in your original message...

But even then, "everyone shouting at once" *can* be a form of debate (kinda like an internet flamefest, but...).

And the benefit of *that* type of contest is the possibility of causing Multiple Opponent modifiers (nicely negated by splitting the followers into groups...)

RR
- Richelieu