Re: Extended contests - followers as augments or AP batteries?

From: Lightcastle <light_castle_at_...>
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 16:11:02 -0500

Hey Jane.

On Sunday 11 December 2005 2:42 pm, Jane Williams wrote:
> It won't make a lot of sense out of context, I suspect, but as last
> defined: "getting General Vur to acknowledge that he cedes the temple ruin
> to the Legion, and possibly entering into some form of formal compact with
> the Legion".

Of course. That's what I'd do in a similar situation. (Yes, it makes no sense out of context. *grin*)

> That's for the overall contest: this round is limited to the PC acting as
> an intermediary to persuade Vur to at least acknowledge his credentials in
> public (ie. in front of the other PCs), not in private.

Right. So the long term goal is the above (and so I'd probably go any success means he cedes the ruin and formal contract is offered on higher successes.)

> > Can all these people actually contribute in the appropriate way?
>
> I think so, yes.

Good.

> OK. Though some of them are applying more than one augment, where they have
> "always on" abilities. Which number does the follower's augment get applied
> to?

Whichever is appropriate, I would say. I wonder if this is a question of your tendency to make followers more "allies" than followers. If they are followers (rules-wise) then they only have a few attributes, and it should be fairly easy to see which one they apply to. If they have their own character sheets, then they are allies and should be able to apply directly to the lead PC. (as I would rule it, anyway.)

> > You can't loan your follower out, your follower is part of you.
>
> Another of those areas where I've never understood how rules map to
> reality.

Like active vs augment-only magic? (That's the one that always does it for me.)

> There are a total of nine people standing around here. One's
> talking, three are saying things to back him up, five are merely looking
> supportive. What is stopping them being supportive of the one doing the
> talking? Yes, there's a rules-construct, but what does it represent?
> Supporting him is what they'd naturally do, they're all on the same side.
> The rules imply that they're doing their support via "their" PC as an
> intermediary, but what does that look like? Do they only nod sagely when
> "their" PC speaks, and frown when the main man is at centre stage? Despite
> agreeing with everything he's saying? Or what?

No, they nod sagely when appropriate, and look threatening when appropriate. But rules wise, it gets conveyed as support through their PC. If a PC has a follower that's a Bodyguard, and has "Looks Tough" and having tough-looking back up is the appropriate modifier (since the main PC is talking about how tough the Legion is) then the PC who has the follower is augmenting the main PC with his follower's "Look Tough" ability. So the follower looks tough in the background, because the PC used the follower's ability to look tough as an augment.

So in the case of the "acknowledge my credentials in public contest", the other PCs can use whatever abilities to augment that are appropriate. But remember, the followers are part of the PC whose sheet they are on. They are a semi-independent set of abilities. Which is why you can augment another PC with the ability, but not give them the AP loan. That's a bonus you get only for classifying them as follower (with the attendant limitations) on your sheet.

In this case, depending on how the main PC's trying to persuade Vur to acknowledge these things, only some stats are going to apply as useful augments. ("Look trustworthy" or some such if the PC is going the "anything you could say to me can be said in front of my men" route, or "Intimidating" if it is the "I am not going before you acknowledge my credentials here" route.)

I get the feeling there is some element we are talking past each other on this, and that it might do with your mention that your followers aren't really followers, but NPC allies.
LC