Re: Randomity and low rolls

From: Michael W. Ryan <mryan_at_...>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 15:49:10 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 31 May 2000, Jimmie Pursell wrote:

> On the whole, I strongly dislike the low roll wins rule and intend to
> change it in my campaign. Any thoughts?

I just had a go-around about this with Roderick and Robin. The points they made were that yes, there is a skewing in the marginal victories, but this was considered acceptable for the purposes of keeping it simple.

What I've also realized is that trying to do it any other way breaks too many other parts of the process. Simple group contests work this way (with failures and fumbles adding 3 or 6 to the best rolls). It also softens the effect of bumps. Most of the time, a natural success will be better than a bumped success; this makes sense.

This bothered me at first, but I've decided that it's not so bad. In the demo game I ran last night, no one complained.

Michael W. Ryan, MCP, MCT     | OTAKON 2000
mryan_at_...              | Convention of Otaku Generation
http://www.netaxs.com/~mryan/ | http://www.otakon.com/

No, I don't hear voices in my head;
I'm the one that tells the voices in your head what to say.