Re: Re: The Stationary Lightbringers Quest

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 18:18:42 +0000 (GMT)

> > The Ritual of Weighing In I did tonight had
> > no magical intent at all (unless you believe the
> > adverts that claim magical weight loss for this
> diet
> > program).
> >

> So what is the tradition or legal requirement that
> makes your weighing in a Ritual?

A bit of Tradition (we do it this way because we always have) and a bit of Club Rules (hand the money over first).

> I will assume that this ritual Weighing in is one
> carried out by
> your Heroband (the group of people on your diet
> program) and is thus
> intended to garner community support allowing you to
> resist temptation to indulge in second helpings...

Something like that. Also access to more accurate scales, and an impartial observer with less of tendency to wishful thinking and cheating.

> You presumably consider
> that following the Rituals will have some benefit in
> helping you
> stick to the diet, otherwise why bother with the
> program at all and
> just lose weight without invokeing it's magic?

If only! This is more like "let's try out yet another ritual, this one might work".

But no magic. A bit of psychology, I expect, but no magic.

The "do these exercises to this tune mimicing the instructor's steps" ritual that follows the Weighing In probably has a more practical result.

Yahoo! Photos � NEW, now offering a quality print service from just 8p a photo http://uk.photos.yahoo.com