Re: HQ abilities as the pendant to visual effects ?

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 18:08:21 +0000 (GMT)

> >Anybody understands what im all about?
> >Any comments or ideas ?
>
> Err, best I can guess is that you need to work on
> your descriptions, not abilities per se.

Yes, but...

while I agree, I suspect we need to be more specific to be useful.

Visual. If that's what you want, then think about what everything you're describing looks like. In particular, I'd suggest thinking about magic. We know magic is usually visible (ignore the cases where it might not be for purposes of this discussion). What does it look like? We decided for one thing that different types of magic (different affinities, for instance) look different, in recognisable and fairly predictable ways. So you could look at someone doing chanting and waving their hands around, note that the globe of light heading your way is grey, and makes anything it passes seem monochrome (like watching that bit of the scene on a B&W TV), and deduce that he's using Death magic. And run away...

The first time a PC uses a feat, we try to decide what it looks like *for him*, note that that's his personal way of doing it, and try to keep a record. No two people will have the same SFX with their magic, though you'll tend to reflect the person who taught you.

Now personally I tend to feel that the world and my descriptions of it become more real if I can't just see it, I can smell it and feel it. So I try to get those senses in the descriptions where appropriate. But if what you want is visual - think through some visual effects.