Re: Re: Healers in Swenstown

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 21:15:34 +0100 (BST)

(on using a healing feat for not quite its intended purpose):

> >> Any suggestions on what an appropriate modifier
> might
> >> be, in any of these circumstances?
>
> >It's an Improv mod, so -5 by default, unless you
> think it should be different.
>
> For clarity.
>
> IIRC you can't improvise from a feat, it 'does what
> is says on the can'.

Sure, but I wasn't asking about improvising, only about the "using a skill that isn't really applicable" modifier. Not quite the same thing. If you have a spanner and need a hammer, you're not improvising a "hammer" skill, or altering the tool in hand, you're hitting a nail with a spanner. Probably better than nothing, but....

My guess would be that using, say "heal disease" on a slash wound will stop any infection, which is nice, but not stop it bleeding. But when the difference is one of rules-artifact-degree rather than one of kind? "Hurt", "injured", "impaired", "dying" - in reality that's a sliding scale. What sort of modifier would you give for being one artificial level out in either direction?

> Having the right feat makes a significant difference
> to the chances of healing someone.

I'm sure it does: it's how significant it is that I'm not sure about.

Switch an email account to Yahoo! Mail, you could win FIFA World Cup tickets. http://uk.mail.yahoo.com