Re: Re: Healers in Swenstown

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 14:36:01 -0700

> In any case, I wouldn't say that "hurt" and "injury" in the names of
> abilites are references to the mechanics, but in-game perceptions of these
> things. As such they have a bit greater breadth in all likelihood (though
> that could just be my interpretation, I could see the designers making the
> other decision in this case, potentially - certainly seems to be the case
in
> HW). Any affinity that mentions more than one ability like this, I'd throw
> right out.

No, we (the designers) made the conscious decision that a "Heal Hurt" healed the "hurt" level of wound, while "Heal Dying" was for the "dying" level. There are, of course other types of "heal" spells - "Heal Slash" or "Heal Broken Bone", wouldn't get the "level of wound" improv penalty, but would get a penalty if used on the wrong kind of wound (using "Heal Broken Bone" to heal a cut, frex).

So "Heal Hurt" is a general-use ability that works on very minor wounds of any sort, while "Heal Slash" heals any level of open cut type wound. It gives someone with "Heal Injury" a broad application (mostly because if the affinity has "Heal Injury", it most likely has "Heal Hurt", "Heal Impairment" and "Heal Dying" as well).

> What I find more interesting is using an ability like "Heal Hurt Feelings"
> or whatnot to repair less physical wounds using the same rules.

Umm, in that specific case it's not "Hurt" feelings, but "hurt feelings", if you see what I mean...

RR
- Richelieu