Re: Versimilitude

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 21:58:16 -0000

> You know, it's ironic that I actually play a bit more simmie this
way than most of the people who promulgate the theories that inform how I play. That is, in my game, I'd have failing the Opening meaning returning to port as the stakes, because I never have some "adventure" or "scenario" planned ahead of time that the players won't get to if that happens<

Actually that's probably pretty true for Red Cow, in the sense that parts of it are pretty simmie of Heortling clan life. I tend to have less scenarios now and rely more on what Chris Chinn calls a conflict sheet or Ron Edwards would call a relationship map (though I think Chris's version is more approachable) along with notes on ideas for what could happen.

But still for the occassion when we have decided there is going to be, for example, a HeroQuest and people are focused on what will happen on the quest and what that will reveal, I don't tend to force a roll to cross to the other side. It would rob everyone of the coming fun.

Thing is I suspect that most of us know when failure won't be that interesting and those are the times I just wouldn't bother to role.