Mixed Religions and Secrets

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 07:21:14 -0700

YGWV
> From: "roadsgoeveron" daveolloyd_at_...
seeks answers about
> Subject: Re: Question re: Mixed Religions and Secrets
>> > Can a mixed religion (e.g., one of the religions in Teshnos where the
>> > cult teaches both an affinity and talents) have a secret?  I assume
>> > that common religions do not have secrets, and the rulebook says that
>> > you can't get a secret through misapplied worship, but do the same
>> > rules apply to mixed religions?

Roderick had said
>> Well, the Lunars certainly have secrets, and they are about as mixed >> as you can get.

> Well, not to nit-pick, but I thought that the current idea was that
> Lunars had their own otherworld, and that their magic was not "mixed"
> (i.e., it all comes from the same otherworld).

And I have to agree with David here.
The Lunars do not have mixed magic. They hav Lunar Magic.

> The underworld is described as mixed magic, but all of the underworld
> deities that I can think of (Uz and Deshkorgos) offer only a single
> type of magic (except maybe Zorak Zoran?).

That's because the real Underworld magic systems have not been published yet. I don't know what Rick will get/do/direct for them. I know that some Underworld entities tend to have discreet types of magic. Others may offer different types.

> Eastern religions (e.g.,
> Teshnos) are described as mixed, but none of them are described to the
> point where a secret is identified.

Common Magic, I believe, is he proper term for Vai Madar Sa.

> Odayla offers charms, but does so
> through misapplied worship.

A very common sort of worship in the world.

> Stormbull offers spirits and feats, but
> he is described as being outside the normal rules.

Yea, a wierdo.

> So my question is really whether a "god" who teaches mixed magic gives
> his worshippers a sufficient connection to an otherworld to allow for
> a secret?

A true entity who is from the Theist World can't really teach other magic unless he has gained them in his mythic lifetime. This mean he has polluted his origins and probably does NOT have a secet to teac. Or rather, may have a secret but cannot provide a pure enough path for it to manifest in the world.

> (Frankly, I like secrets, so I think it should, but I was
> surprised to realize that misapplied worship couldn't give access to a
> secret, so I thought I'd ask).

Having said hat, I believe that some entities from the East, who have a diferent ake on existence, do teach mixed magic and do have a secret. However, the secret would always have to do with Liberation of Self, and be functionally useless to any game play.

YGWV

Sincerely,
Greg Stafford

Issaries, Inc.