Re: Mixed Religions and Secrets

From: nichughes2001 <nicolas.h_at_...>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 15:23:56 -0000

> Having said hat, I believe that some entities from the East, who have
> a diferent ake on existence, do teach mixed magic and do have a
> secret. However, the secret would always have to do with Liberation of
> Self, and be functionally useless to any game play.

Any great secret along these lines would be functionally useless in gameplay, not that great secrets are ever anything but useless in gameplay.

A lesser secret on the path to liberation might be useful in gameplay, especially if the game emphasis is more on the matters it might relates to. I view Teshnan secrets as being fragments of freedom from illusion, some fragments are interesting but unlikely to come up in play others could be quite interesting in play. For example a martial school or path might have a secret that liberates its accomplished members from fear.

In my musings on a Teshnan campaign my emphasis is far more on matters of character and ethics than in a typical Heortling campaign - success often depending more on virtue than on strength, cleverness or skill. With this emphasis secrets which are steps on the path to liberation might be far from useless within the narrative of a Teshnan campaign, although I daresay any passing Heortling or Praxian would regard them as such.

---
Nic