Enchant [item]

From: Gavain Sweetman <gavain.sweetman_at_...>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 14:47:18 +0100 (BST)

I have been having some thought as to the utility of the magical abilities of the type "Enchant [item]". Here are my initial musings. I have assumed that the hero in question is theistic and have biased all terms to that view.

Enchanting an item is a complex and lengthy process.

  1. The item must be ritually prepared to receive the feat(s) to be implanted; this may require the presence of the enchanter throughout the manufacturing of the item or at least a week of special preparations.
  2. The participants in the ritual are prepared for the final embedding.
  3. The embedding is performed. This process takes another full day.

I think that the hero does not need to know the actual feat to be embedded, however if they don�t then this attracts an increased difficulty to the embedding process. Two types of item can be created, a standard item where the items power comes from its connection to its current owner (via HP spent), or a powered item, where the ability of the item is fixed. For either type the requirements and processes remain the same.

Contest: Embed one or more feats in an object. Resistance: 14 + 10 for each additional participant (supplying feats to be embedded)

Standard items:
Any Success: Feat is embedded; owner can link to the item for 1 HP. Tie to Major Defeat: Item is not enchanted. Complete Defeat: Item is broken beyond repair and all previous powers are lost.

Powered Items:
Complete Victory: Item is powered, embedded ability = 1 x the casters skill level
Major Victory: Item is powered, embedded ability = 1/2 x the casters skill level
Minor Victory: Item is powered, embedded ability = 1/4 x the casters skill level
Marginal Victory: Item is powered, embedded ability = 1/10 x the casters skill level
Tie to Major Defeat: Item is not enchanted. Complete Defeat: Item is broken beyond repair and all previous powers are lost.

Items with multiple Enchantments can be created however each additional feat adds +20 to the resistance to successful enchantment.