Re: Magi's Magic

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 21:19:22 +1200

At 09:11 p.m. 8/08/2006, you wrote:
>metcalph_at_... wrote:
> > At 07:36 p.m. 8/08/2006, you wrote:
>
> > >Glorantha:IttHW describes the Magi as Wizards but states that their
> > >magic does not include sorcery (p120). If there is a contradiction
> > >between the two books it is that G:IttHW describes magi as belonging
> > >to their own school.
> >
> > Glorantha: Intro wasn't using "wizards" in the HeroQuest rules sense
> > and the ILH-1 is in error here.

>This is the rules list so the point is to work out how best to represent the
>Magi in terms of the current rules. Since the Magi use magic, and appear
>to be derived from monotheist traditions Wizardry looks like the best fit.

It is a best fit if you want to shoehorn square pegs into round holes on the grounds that magic types described in HeroQuest are the only types of magic permissible. But I don't believe that and neither should you.

>If you have a better suggestion - and that means a constructive idea
>about how to handle Magi under current HQ rules - then I suggest
>that you make it.

It was constructive for you to start quoting me sections of the Glorantha: Intro in an effort to prove me wrong?

>Just saying that ILH-1 is wrong is not really helpful.

It was as helpful as your original advice.

--Peter Metcalfe