Re: Re: powerful augments

From: Philippe Sigaud <sigaud_at_...>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 22:41:43 +0200

Rob :
> Bog off! Some always bang on about this, but if you choose to
> interperet the scale the game that way then its your problem (and
> the Heroes Book).
> I'm not saying that the rulebook is not incoherent in
> places, it is, its just those bits were probably not written by
> Robin, is my guess.
>
> Rant over! :^)
>
> Regards
> Rob

Hmm... Feeling better now?
You're barking at the wrong tree, man.

As Jane said, we were speaking about the first impression of the first edition of the rules. And, in my case, as they were presented by the French editor at the time.
Remember a strange rule that got edited out of HQ? Direct ability test. d20, your ability. Do a critical and it's a Complete Success. No opposition. That's the first resolution mechanics presented in the book. I (wrongly) decided to use it to speed things up. 5w? One chance in four to obtain a Complete Success. Now, that's a Hero. But when we gradually introduced the SC and EC rules, the overall feeling changed.

> Heroquest (formerely Hero Wars) is a system that
> is designed to facillitate player/character diven play. Just because
> a bunch of you choose to misuse it in your rigid-must-simulatate-the-
> universal-physics-cosmolology-of-glorantha type mindsets, thats your
> own look out.

I think I remember Jane saying here many times that NPCs power should be determined as the needs of the story (and the interests of the players) dictate.

As for me, I'm using "player/character driven play" (well, more player than character) and many other buzzwords just because, that's the style we like: flags, bangs, scene framing, authorial/narrational/whateveral control, you name it. It's fun and swift and powerful. I'm not sure HW/HQ was really designed to facilitate it, but in any case it doesn't get too much in the way, as some other systems do. I'd prefer myself another reward cycle and HP distribution based otherwise, but that's a subject for another thread (hmm, Keys in HQ?)

But, at the same time, I prefer, for my own comfort, to have a slight idea of the global scale of power of oppositions. 10, 10w3, 10w6, 10w9. And so do my players. Trollkin, Hero, God, High God.

And, now that my players, _due to the good use of the augmentation rules_ regularly obtain 10w6+ TNs, I was asking if there was some light rule modification or character modification to be done. Because it's restraining my pleasure in game.
But I guess that, as always, it will be resolved by talking with the players.

> Caveat: In my rant I am not saying you should not play the game how
> you want to. I am saying you should not misrepresent it on public
> forums based on your own opinions!

Rob, let's close the thread.

  Philippe