Re: powerful augments

From: Rob <robert_m_davis_at_...>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 11:57:53 -0000

> > Return to a game of Hero's and not begining
> > bumblers!
>
> Or just up the numbers on the character sheet.

My point is that you do not need to. Just re-calibrate the stats in some of the published scenario's. And tell your players they are top people. Much of this stems from perception IMO. Put it this way, you have begining a begining character. You give him big stats 20W2 in most things and tell him he's a big daddy hero. Great. Then a couple of farm boys beat him to a pulp because they have 5W3 in crook fighting! These are the best shepherds in the tribe. Masters masters says I the GM. The new player still feels like his shiny new character got dumped by a couple of labourers.

Playing my way you have a begining character warrior, maybe 5W in combat. As good, or nearly as good as the clan champion on a good day, with augments and the judicious use of hero points. In my game I will calibrate the combat effectiveness of my players foes to maintain the players feeling of whatever their character concept is.

I like Mike Holmes idea of not having armour and weapon bonuses (unless they are magical, and then they only get the magic bonus). Instead, give a situational modifier. Thus, a hoplite v's the orlanthi clansman, the hoplite gets +3. If that Orlanthi only has a dagger and no armour, then the hoplite gets +15 or +20. Its intuitive and again player and GM are describing the action, and considering the implications thereof, rather than blandly listing their respective equipment bonuses.

Regards
Rob