Re: Re: powerful augments

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 12:25:23 +0100 (BST)

> Most abilities are at 17, the character designated
> specialities are
> at 13. If you are rolling against 14 or higher the
> whole of the time
> then that dramatically drops the percieved
> effectiveness of characters.

well, you do get to use augments to improve that 13 a bit. And HP, as you mention later. The universe doesn't get to do that.

> someone who is good at what they do,
> which in my HQ is about 17 (which is actually crap
> in everyone elses game it would seem).

In the current rules, it's crap. Well, limited, anyway. You just look at what the standard levels are in the chart at the end of the HQ book, and there it all is. Beginning character: lousy.

> Therefore, in my game Harrek and Kallyr are way
> above the norm,
> where as most of you it seems may well view them as
> curiously underpowered.

Compare their stats (well, Kallyr's, we don't have
Harrek's AFAIK?) with the standards, she's noticably
better than the norm on base skills, and HUGELY better
by the time she's put some augments up. Take a careful look at her followers and relationships sometime. And ignore her skills in hand-to-hand combat, that's not what she's about.

> I think OiD says that Kallyr is as powerful as a
minor god.

We had this discussion a while back, and were surprised by the results. Go and look up the stats for a MINOR god! She is. This says more about the minor god than it does about her, and makes one wonder how to use MINOR gods as opposition to the PCs in a fairly normal game.

> Hence when I say 'Low Level Heroic feel' I mean that
> my players are
> made to feel as if their characters are serious
> characters in their
> communities, instead of the useless whelps with
> paltry skills at 17 and [gasp] 13!!!!

Yes - this is why we gave up on the starting character level, because that wasn't the level we wanted to play at, nor the way our characters had been described.

> Imagine this, you get a newbie player to do a
> hundred word narrative
> describing their character in all its glory. They
> put their
> character is strong. Then you say that actually it
> starts at 13. ...

> Talk about taking the Hero out of Heroquest!

Well, quite. I'm sure some people like to play at that level, I do myself at times, but that isn't the "mover and shaker" type of character at all.

> Go on, reclaim the modest ground, and make 17 a
> great stat again!
>
> Return to a game of Hero's and not begining
> bumblers!

Or just up the numbers on the character sheet.

All new Yahoo! Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease of use." - PC Magazine http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html