Re: Followers

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2006 12:37:28 +0000 (GMT)

>>And we used the HW followers rules: they grow as you grow. So, add
>>another 4-6 high level abilities (not always available, but even
>>then...). We shall not do that anymore.

>OK, yeah, that's a big difference there. I like that rule in some ways. I
>wonder if there isn't some way to meet somewhere in between.

The chief problem with that Hero Wars rule was that it encouraged using all your hero points to up a single skill on your character. Your hero's followers then automatically rose at the same time. So an abusive player would realize that because you can use your followers abilities in a contests, this was a cheap way of buying a cascade of skill increases. So for example I spend all my points on Close Combat (Sword and Shield) [Close Combat was a broad skill in HW days] and my follower had Debate. Every time I raise my Close Combat, his Debate goes up too. If I have two or three followers I can become good at a whole range of activities very cheaply. This tended to lead to very one-dimensional characters and to the heroes of players who did not follow this approach being eclipsed. "Guys my nameless follower is the best amongst us at debating".

So it had some issues for us in play.

Ian Cooper

Inbox full of spam? Get leading spam protection and 1GB storage with All New Yahoo! Mail. http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html