RE: Re: Getting injured (etc) multiple times - cumulative wounds

From: Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes_at_...>
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2006 09:01:04 -0600

>From: "Rob" <robert_m_davis_at_...>
>
>Bizarre. I am not a fan of using serial simple contests for combat.
>I just don't think it works at all. Its against the spirit of the
>Heroquest rules I believe.

Actually, from a certain perspective, it's actually completely supported by the HQ rules. I mean, let's say we have a contest to see if you can get a sword out of your opponent's hands. But you fail, and he humiliates you in the process. Would it then be wrong to have a further contest in which you try to skewer him?

In fact, as long as the goals involved in a "chained" series of contests are all actually goals, and not just tasks on the way to some eventual, I think it works out very well. Especially since you set the new contest between every "round" in this case. It's still just a sequence of simple contests.

Or even if you run several rounds with the same goal, and there's an "escape clause" (but that's involves a lot of system modification).

Whats problematic is when a character is allowed to simply pound away at precisely the same goal round after round until a complete defeat occurs. Yeah, in that case, you're going back to the traditional RPG model. Though, again, if that's what people want, then they're doing the right thing in making this particular modification. I'd urge people to try the "HQ Way" of goal resolution. But it might not be what some people want.

Mike

Get today's hot entertainment gossip
http://movies.msn.com/movies/hotgossip?icid=T002MSN03A07001