Re: Getting injured (etc) multiple times - cumulative wounds

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_...>
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2006 22:42:31 +0000

> > The other GM in our group tends to prefer serial contests - that
> is, if
> > you lose a contest, you take the penalty as a generic modifier to
> > physical skills, and then - ding! - round two, as it were. The
> players generally
> prefer
> > this to the method I use, which is pretty much the rulebook one.
>
> Bizarre. I am not a fan of using serial simple contests for combat.

Well, I agree with you, of course (or I'd use them myself), but it's what my players prefer. Not 'insist upon', mind you, but definitely 'prefer'.

> Its against the spirit of the Heroquest rules I believe.

To be honest, I don't think many of them *like* the spirit of the Heroquest rules all that much, even if it is what we're playing. Which is kind of a pity, as I do. But there you go...

> I only use simple contests when there is at least a mastery
> advantage in favour of the players and the scene has minor dramatic
> value.

I must admit, I rarely use extended contests - only twice in eight sessions, so far. I don't think the players are very keen on the whole bidding thing. The other GM in the group doesn't use them at all, although he uses standard simple contests for non-combat situations, and in combat when we've got a huge advantage over the opponents.

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic